Well, I got it to work, and it was entirely my fault. If I had noticed/remembered how I had my usb hooked up, I could have avoided all of this.
The basic idea was that I had my usb hub connected through another hub (that doesn't work for this) into the mac. Duh, but it was convenient when I set it up months ago, and it has worked for everything, except this obviously.
I made the direct connection and everything worked like a charm.
I wanted to post here because I didn't want people thinking that this didn't work on a mac. It worked beautifully. I wouldn't complain if the section starting with my post was deleted. these kind of posts can give people the wrong impression. Going to set up midi over usb, install the software editor, etc. Yay.