Ion Editor not communicating - interfaces

General discussions related to ion/Micron-editor
SeattleSynthGuy

Ion Editor not communicating - interfaces

Post by SeattleSynthGuy »

I just bought the Ion Editor and had some MIDI communication issues. The pitch and mod wheels respond on both sides (software and hardware), I can change programs from the software, but not in reverse. Getting these 'No Ion Available' errors when I try to load or save anything to or from the Ion and none of the parameter controls do anything. Yet there's obviously communication because the wheels and program sends work.

Hypersynth support responded to my question with a simple "Please change your midi interface" response. My interface was one of those Turtle Beach dongle USB models, simple, ubiquitous, never given me any problems before with any other software /hardware communications. MIDI IN and Out cables were connected correctly (been doing MIDI since 1983, I know what I'm doing).

I've read some comments on this forum regarding certain makes of interfaces that apparently do not communicate the entire sysex message (or something like that). MOTU among them and apparently the cheapo Turtle Beach model I was using.

Before I went out and spent more money to support this software (which was NOT what I had in mind), I replied back and asked what interfaces they do support. After not receiving any response after a few days, I got tired of waiting and picked up an M-Audio MIDIsport 1x1. Pretty common interface, widely used, so it should work, right?

Well, no, I'm getting the exact same issues as before; the wheels work in both directions, program sends from the s/w to the ion work, but nothing else works. I'm sending off another note to "Alen" in support, but I have to say this is not encouraging. Anyone on this forum experience anything like this and have any ideas?

If Hypersynth knows that certain makes of interfaces have problems with their software, why don't they publish a list of interfaces they know will work and will support? I can't afford to trial and error on this until I find one that works. I just need it to work.

Will have to ask Hypersynth for a refund if they can't provide a satisfactory answer soon.

Thanks kindly.

Jeff
SeattleSynthGuy
Iman_JL

Re: Ion Editor not communicating - interfaces

Post by Iman_JL »

What is your ION OS version? only the latest os v1.06 support request patch function.
If Hypersynth knows that certain makes of interfaces have problems with their software, why don't they publish a list of interfaces they know will work and will support?
You should ask Alesis to publish the list of compatible interfaces with their synths, there is no such a term as "compatibility between interface and editor" ! If ion-editor does not responds to request patch the other software and MIDI utilities do not respond too.

It is the interface that cannot decode and transfer the sysex packet not the editor, but the problem has not been reported with Maudio interface, I myself use MIDI sport 4x4 on Ion and Micron with no problem.
SeattleSynthGuy

Thanks for that. Makes sense. Will have to figure out how to get it to display the OS version and go from there.
Iman_JL

Post by Iman_JL »

please read the manual page:16 :
How to find out ION OS version?
Turn the Ion’s power on while holding both the [panel active a] and [panel active d] buttons.
SeattleSynthGuy

Following up. I upgraded my Ion's firmware to 1.06. I also installed the most recent Midisport driver from M-Audio.
I'm still getting the same error (No Ion Available). Followed up with Hyperynth support again just now. No idea what could be wrong, just that I'm quite certain after checking several times that the settings are correct and I'm doing everything right, at least on the surface.

Iman_JL, thanks for the tips & advice. Much appreciated.